Deep within me there’s a love for Depeche Mode that will never go away. DM’s music has been an important part of my life’s narrative. I’m grateful for being introduced to this band. I’m thankful that we still have them with us. For well over thirty plus years DM has been kicking ass and making uncompromising music. It’s 2017 and they’re still relevant! The music of DM is experimental, danceable, provocative, and timeless. Here are the 5 albums that I just can’t get enough of. 😉
5. Exciter (2001)- Exciter was my gateway drug album. I’d heard of the band, but once a homie played this album for me… shiiit it was a wrap. I. Was. Hooked. I became an instant junkie for the band. Exciter’s saturated with the most beautiful melodies, and emotionally- rich vocals. “I Am You” is the sexiest song ever created.
4. Black Celebration (1986)- Atmospheric. Layered. Bold. And dark as fuck. Black Celebration is the perfect album; it gives me everything. The lyrics are poetic. The vocals are haunting and unforgettable. The music has so much substance. I suggest listening to this album during a rainstorm in Autumn- and don’t forget the blacklights, and the sandalwood incense. “Stripped”, “Dressed In Black”, “New Dress”. Damn! Every single song is incredible.
3. Playing The Angel (2005)- This album is a freaking masterpiece. From the sonic assault of “A Pain That I’m Used To”, to the hypnotic “The Darkest Star”. P.T.A. is one of the most enjoyable albums in their catalogue. I lost someone extremely close to me the year this album came out. I was constantly playing P.T.A. which is why the album is so meaningful. “Nothing’s Impossible” is the jam of all jamz.
2. Violator (1990)- A definitive Depeche Mode album for sure. Getting lost in this album is a given. You put Violator on and all the shit life brings to your door is forgotten, at least temporarily. This album is epic on every level. “Sweetest Perfection”, “Personal Jesus”, “Halo”, and “Blue Dress” are my favs.
1. Songs Of Faith And Devotion (1993)- This is my absolute favorite album of the band’s. Instead of trying to recreate another Violator, the band added a few traditional rock elements to their sound, and unleashed a whole different breed of animal. Songs Of… was made during a tumultuous time for the band, but out of that inner conflict came a remarkable album. My bud often says “drama and chaos produces the best art”. “Mercy In You”, “In Your Room”, “Condemnation”, “I Feel You”, these are all my jamz.
If you’re a fan of the band then share with me your fav albums. Until next time…
Image Credit- Belongs to its rightful owner.