Hey, homies! For this edition of Album Spotlight, I’ll be shining a light on Kelis’ otherworldly debut album, Kaleidoscope. This album is trailblazing because not only were we introduced to a genre defying artist, but music fans also got their first tastes of The Neptunes sound which peppered each track.
Kelis’ sound is experimental, catchy, and just plain cool as hell. She was the first sista to do something really unique with music in the late nineties. Kelis wasn’t just a traditional R&B singer by any means. Kaleidoscope was released on December 7, 1999. The cover proudly displayed Kelis’ multicolored, natural curls, and a body covered in abstract colors and symbols.
Here are my top 5 jamz from the album.
5. Roller Rink- Ooh, this song jamz so hard! It’s a percussion-soaked, up-tempo monster with a nostalgic vibe. A feel- good song that makes you want to move your ass!
4. Caught Out There- A song for all the ladies who get mistreated by their significant others. A straight up banger! The chorus is legendary!
3. Get Along With You- Smooth. Eclectic. Evocative. Somber.
2. Mars- Danceable. Polished. Dope as hell.
1. Suspended- This song is deep, textured, and mesmerizing. Another one of those jamz that must be enjoyed in the dark.
Kaleidscope gets 5 out of 5 stars!
Image Credit. belongs to its owner.