My pre-teen, and teen years were flooded with some pretty infectious grooves. R&B music was my first love. The R&B of the nineties was extra special. It was an era where male groups not only dominated the charts, but also pop culture as a whole. No group ruled my world more than Jodeci.
I loved me some Devante Swing, K-Ci, Jojo, and Mr. Dalvin.
My bedroom walls were slathered in Jodeci posters. I would record (remember VCR’s) all their appearances on Arsenio Hall, Soul Train, Showtime At The Apollo, and various award shows. I played their music endlessly.
Jodeci’s debut album, Forever My Lady was released on May, 28 1991. The album was loaded with soul-stirring harmonies, undeniably catchy hooks, and hypnotic beats.
Here are my top 5 jams from the album.
5. I’m Still Waiting- This track has silky smooth vocals that covers my soul like a comfy blanket.
4. Gotta Love- An up-tempo jam that made me dance in 1991, and still does it for me in 2018.
3. U And I- This is the most underrated song in the group’s catalog. It’s the perfect love jam.
2. Stay- Lush. Lyrical. Transporting. And dem vocals though! Millions of babies were created to this!
1. Forever My Lady- Ooh yeah(in my K-Ci voice)! This title track is what started my love affair with Jodeci. It’s cleverly-written with a soulful vibe.
Of course this is a 5 star album.
So what are your fav songs by the bad boys of R&B? Let me know!
Image Credit- I don’t own the image in this post.