On April 21, 2016, we lost a uniquely original soul. One of the most influential, iconic, and innovative performers of our time passed away. Prince was brilliant, talented, unapologetic, and there will never be another. We were blessed to have such a dynamic human being among us. Prince was so much more than a musician to me. Prince was family and I will mourn his loss, as well as celebrate his life, always. His music was there when I grieved; his music gave me inspiration when creating. Losing him is still difficult to come to terms with…
In honor of his incredible body of work, I’m sharing my fav Prince jamz. Enjoy!
25. “Dinner With Delores”– One of those “quiet” jams that just can’t be ignored.
24. “If Eye Was The Man In Ur Life”- A jam from the Musicology album. I love the heck out of the chorus.
23. “Something In The Water (Does Not Compute)”– One of those songs that just leaves you spellbound. I’ve never heard anything quite like this.
22. “Little Red Corvette”– Hypnotic and sexy as hell!
21. “Gett Off”– A jam with an irresistible chorus, and highly sexualized lyrics. Yass!
20. “Black Sweat”– From the 3121 album. This jam makes you want to get up and dance.
19. “Nothing Compares 2 U”– The version Prince did with New Power Generation’s Rosie Gaines was everything. The lyrics about a lost love is the kind of jam you play on repeat after a breakup… and then you cry to it- that ugly cry.
18. “DMSR”– A get out on the dancefloor jam.
17. “You Got The Look”– An unforgettable duet with Sheena Easton.
16. “Uptown”– A “set your mind free” jam. Forget all your troubles and dance around the room to this.
15. “Dirty Mind”– A song that’s special to me because of my bud. This was our car jam.
14. “Controversy”– Jam this while singing into a hairbrush. The beat of this is what sticks out the most.
13. “Do Me Baby”– One of his definitive sensual jamz. Whenever I’m writing an erotic scene, this is one of the main songs that I listen to.
12. “1999”– Just a straight up fun jam.
11. “The Marrying Kind”– Another one of his later jamz that I really fell for.
10. “Adore”– The lyrics of this song just makes me turn into a pile of mush. Totally romantic.
9. “Darling Nikki”– This jam is sex served on a plate. Nuff’ said.
8. “Purple Rain”– If you don’t catch the feels when listening to this… something must seriously be wrong. One incredible masterpiece.
7. “International Lover”– Seductive and romantic.
6. “7”–I used to sing this with my dad, so it’s extra special to me.
5. “Let’s Go Crazy”– My introduction to His Royal Bossness. This was the first Prince song I remember loving.
4. “The Beautiful Ones”- An atmospheric jam that requires lit candles, and sandalwood incense.
3. “Eye Hate U”– There was a season in my life where this was played daily. I think it’s one of those guttural, emotional, brokenhearted jamz. A scorned lover brings his feelings for his cheating partner out in such a beautiful way. “I hate you cause I love you.” Ooh, damn that’s deep.
2. “When Doves Cry”– The opening riff to this song never fails to blow me away. The bass guitar is absent from this jam, but it’s so freaking dope that you don’t care!
1. “Erotic City”– A song on the highest level of bossness. It’s a hot and kinky jam that just takes the listener on an unbelievable ride. Hecks, I wish I could go to Erotic City!!
Rest In Peace, Prince.
Image Credit- I totally don’t own these pics. They belong to their respective owners.